Indigo Ripple

Live with passion. Love with abandon. Post with distinction.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

It's an old right vs. wrong dilemma

Go down 
AuthorMessage
satchee

PostSubject: It's an old right vs. wrong dilemma   Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:49 pm

I was recently sparked to think about relativity in relation to good vs. evil. If what you are doing is considered “bad” but ultimately leads to a “good” result can and should you be punished for it. Should the law consider the means for judgment or judge based on the utilitarian end result. It’s interesting to consider it focusing more on the law than moral guidelines.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
catdow80

PostSubject: Re: It's an old right vs. wrong dilemma   Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:19 pm

Do squirrels fart?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Observer11

PostSubject: Re: It's an old right vs. wrong dilemma   Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:54 am

satchee wrote:
I was recently sparked to think about relativity in relation to good vs. evil. If what you are doing is considered “bad” but ultimately leads to a “good” result can and should you be punished for it. Should the law consider the means for judgment or judge based on the utilitarian end result. It’s interesting to consider it focusing more on the law than moral guidelines.

hah. this is actually something Ive also been contemplating for some while..

i suppose our reality becomes "better" for lack of a better term, every time we evolve/change explore, also seeing as that is what we are meant to do.. why not try it out - that is instead of the default punishment, have it be more like a bunch of psychologists (the real ones) scientist etc analyze the "evildoer" and his/her crime to better understand the reason he/she committed it. In turn tracing the problem to its root, ultimately curing the cause vs punishing the symptom.

anyone? anyone? :]
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mixvegasmedia.com
Observer11

PostSubject: Re: It's an old right vs. wrong dilemma   Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:55 am

catdow80 wrote:
Do squirrels fart?

most likely...dont know about you but i do when i eat acorns..
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mixvegasmedia.com
azzzz

PostSubject: Re: It's an old right vs. wrong dilemma   Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:48 pm

Well, it wouldn't really be fair if everyone just did things that were bad and hoped that something good would happen eventually.

Last edited by azzzz on Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
azzzz

PostSubject: Re: It's an old right vs. wrong dilemma   Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:50 pm

I like squirrels Very Happy

Last edited by azzzz on Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
satchee

PostSubject: Re: It's an old right vs. wrong dilemma   Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:51 pm

What if the law was completely subjective? If, instead of regular laws that govern, every situation was judged according to the specific situation it was in. Regardless of the possible time gap between the positive result and the negative action, if there was one, it's possible that people would be more on guard as to the intentions and ultimate results of their actions as opposed to minding the law and the possible loopholes associated with that. Or even less inclined to commit impulsive "bad" acts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
satchee

PostSubject: Re: It's an old right vs. wrong dilemma   Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:53 pm

Observer11 wrote:
catdow80 wrote:
Do squirrels fart?

most likely...dont know about you but i do when i eat acorns..

I bet they smell way better than next morning bloody mary farts. Just sayin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Louise

PostSubject: Re: It's an old right vs. wrong dilemma   Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:12 pm

I always liked the thought of the Wild West, and how things were done back then.

They did have the law, but if your gun was bigger- and you had more beef jerky-you won.

Vigilante justice was everywhere, and you had to watch your back, good person or bad.

It was a time that people could take the law in their own hands and not necessarily see any repercussions; a time where killers could be the good guys, and also a time when drunk people could shoot up the local saloon every couple hours.

(again, this would be the perfect spot to insert an emoticon brazening a shotgun)

In this day and age it's hard to find a fair outcome, even if good is found through a bad.

Take "A time to kill" for example. I think that story ended correctly, but these days, Samuel L Jackson would find his ass in jail!

Sometimes I think we've gone too far to be fair, and in doing so, the system is really fair to no-one. The guilty go free and those who take the law into their own hands-even for the right reasons-may very well find themselves paying dearly for their "good" deeds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Louise

PostSubject: Re: It's an old right vs. wrong dilemma   Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:19 pm

catdow80 wrote:
Do squirrels fart?

I think it's about time you gave this topic it's own thread. Or shoot the goddamn squirrel.

And yet again we find another perfect spot for an emoticon shooting up the place!

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seasoned Salt

PostSubject: Re: It's an old right vs. wrong dilemma   Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:47 pm

Are ya happy now, little miss violence? bounce

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Louise

PostSubject: Re: It's an old right vs. wrong dilemma   Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:54 pm

SWEEET!!!

How did you do that? You're not gonna charge me, like $ 100 an emoticon, are you?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's an old right vs. wrong dilemma   

Back to top Go down

It's an old right vs. wrong dilemma
Page 1 of 1