Indigo Ripple
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indigo Ripple

Live with passion. Love with abandon. Post with distinction.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Love the art, not the artist

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
little rip

Love the art, not the artist Empty
PostSubject: Love the art, not the artist   Love the art, not the artist I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 12:26 pm

This is based on the conundrum people find when the person creating a work that they are a fan of is an appaling monster of a human being. I like the idea of being able to spite them and just appreciate their creations.

However, any artist will tell you, and it goes without saying, that what they create contains at least a fraction of themselves if not a great deal more.

It seems like a disservice to separate the artist from the work, yet, it is also a disservice to not appreciate a piece because of how you feel about its creator.
Back to top Go down
stoli

stoli

PostSubject: Re: Love the art, not the artist   Love the art, not the artist I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:30 pm

Take Michael Jackson, for instance. He has made some of the all-time best pop music, you just can't deny that, and yet, kids today now know him not as the King of Pop, but as a child molestor.

And even though I question his freakish nature, I can't help getting down to classics like Thriller and Smooth Criminal.

afro
Back to top Go down
Seasoned Salt

Seasoned Salt

PostSubject: Re: Love the art, not the artist   Love the art, not the artist I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 4:01 pm

I agree that the work should stand alone in those kinds of cases.

Think of the one hit wonder musical titles you grew up listening to, that are burned into your brain. You ever make the mistake of grabbing the whole album on the merit of that one awesome song?

There have been some really terrible bands over the decades that just got it right once. Ever. This isn't quite the same as realizing that the artist in question is a kid-toucher or just some kind of a douchebag, but you get the idea.

Since Michael Jackson came up, you should must check out the funk of forty thousand years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Love the art, not the artist   Love the art, not the artist I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Love the art, not the artist
Page 1 of 1