Indigo Ripple
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indigo Ripple

Live with passion. Love with abandon. Post with distinction.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Band or artists' definitive song

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
satchee

Band or artists' definitive song Empty
PostSubject: Band or artists' definitive song   Band or artists' definitive song I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 11:59 pm

This should probably be in the stolen topics thread because i heard it on ron and fez, but i love getting into discussions about the definitive songs by an artist or band.

For instance, it's the song that culminates the essence of the band. It's what you tell someone to listen to if they've never heard the band before to get an idea of what they're in for. This can also be done with albums, but they are usually too obvious.

Here are some bands to start you off:

Grateful Dead - Dark Star
Pink Floyd - Breathe (no, not another brick in the wall)
Nirvana - Teen Spirit (sorry but it is definitive)
Pearl Jam - alive

what have you got?
Back to top Go down
indyblue

indyblue

PostSubject: Re: Band or artists' definitive song   Band or artists' definitive song I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 12:15 am

I must diagree with your grateful dead selection. now i agree that seasoned dead listeners will say darkstar. but the casual fan would probably say something like Truckin' or Friend of the Devil. i think that definitive means what defines them to the music listening public, not what defines them to their fans. but thats why these threads rule!!!!

Kinks--Lola
Smashing Pumpkins--Today
Rolling Stones---Satisfaction (not sure why i included this i hate this song)
Radiohead ----Tough they are one of those bands that does not really have a song that defines them. People may ridiculously claim Creep. Creep cannot be said to define Radiohead, so i'm thinking they are a the rare exception where album trumps song and go with OK Computer.
Simon and Garfunkle ---Bridge over Troubled Water or Mrs. Robinson or Sounds of Silence?? scratch So Hard
Back to top Go down
indyblue

indyblue

PostSubject: Re: Band or artists' definitive song   Band or artists' definitive song I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 12:15 am

oh and pearl jam is really tough too you could also go with jeremy or evenflow
Back to top Go down
little rip

PostSubject: Re: Band or artists' definitive song   Band or artists' definitive song I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 1:01 pm

Ok, i get truckin. But i don't think it's necessarily the peoples' choice. it has to be the proper mix of accessibility and heart-of-band essence.

I would make the case for alive instead of evenflow and jeremy is not in the running.

further, i would say disarm trumps today.

I used to be a little boy.

Phish - I guess would be antelope. i don't think slave hits it on the head. NO YEM.
Back to top Go down
cocobot

cocobot

PostSubject: Re: Band or artists' definitive song   Band or artists' definitive song I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 1:22 pm

ok but its not darkstar its so unaccessible even for me at times and i love the band.

sorry but i'm not sure if you remember the 90's but today was a way bigger hit than disarm and its their definitive sound more so than disarm. while disarm is great its an acoustic song with cello backdrop, not exactly the definitive smashing pumpkins sound.

phish's definitive song? they are another tough one but i go with YEM. its is their definitive sound and oddly enough it is actually accessible. its not the distorted jazz drivel that darkstar often turns into. YEM actually is a totally composed song with distinct parts and movements like a classical piece. anyhoo
Back to top Go down
kstew

kstew

PostSubject: Re: Band or artists' definitive song   Band or artists' definitive song I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 12:16 am

here's my list:
Rolling Stones: Sympathy for the Devil
Pink Floyd: COmfortably Numb
Pearl Jam: Courderoy
Radiohead: Karma Police
Smashing Pumpkins: Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Nirvana: Smells Like Teen Spirit
Sublime: 40 oz to freedom
Aerosmith: Dream On
Metallica: Enter Sandman
Phish: Fluff head
Bruce Springsteen: Born to Run
Led Zepplin: Stairway to Heaven
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Give it Away
Weezer: Say it aint so
U2: One
Tool: Sober
Nine Inch Nails: Head Like a Hole
Green Day: Welcome to Paradise
Dave Matthews: What would you say
Alice in Chains: Rooster
Beck: Loser
The Killers: Somebody Told me
I could go on...
Back to top Go down
cocobot

cocobot

PostSubject: Re: Band or artists' definitive song   Band or artists' definitive song I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 5:32 pm

i still think stash for Phish. its really tough though they have such a specific audience
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Band or artists' definitive song   Band or artists' definitive song I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Band or artists' definitive song
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Indigo Ripple :: Mull it over... :: Music-
Jump to: